Keeping up with current and emerging nutrition trends is crucial for brands and industry professionals. It enables you to maintain a broad understanding of the market, identify where the biggest opportunities are, and helps you stay ahead of the competition.
In this article – we outline the latest nutrition trends from across the industry and opportunities they present.
Whether you want to learn how healthy eating patterns are shifting, which special diets are most popular, or what the hottest new sports ingredient is, we’ve got you covered…
- Nutrition Trends
- Healthy Eating
- Diet Trends
- Sports-Specific Trends
- Nutrition Research Report
The nutrition industry is growing at a rapid pace of 6.6% a year. But there are trends within the market that are seeing even bigger growth, such as plant-based eating, special diets, and protein alternatives.
According to Kerry, one of the world’s largest manufacturers, the top 10 nutrition trends are…
- Functional benefits – such as skin, immune support, and heart health.
- Women’s health – addressing gender-specific nutritional needs throughout all life stages.
- Active lifestyles – products that support fitness, physical activity, and healthy aging.
- Cognitive health – foods and drinks that support focus, memory, and mood.
- Sugar & salt – consumer and government demands are driving decreases in these ingredients.
- Futuristic protein – alternative protein sources such as cultivated meat.
- Microbiome – moving beyond digestive health to include microbes in other areas.
- Hydration – sparkling waters, low-sweetness drinks, and electrolyte powders.
- Plant-based – meat and dairy alternatives.
- Affordable nutrition – recent global events are straining economies leading to reduced spending.
Both Kerry and McKinsey have also identified sustainable nutrition as a mega-trend over-arching all others. It’s a priority for 1/3 consumers who increasingly want food that’s good for their health, the planet, and society. Brands that can service all three aspects will be well-placed for the future.
2023 Nutrition Industry Market Report
So, what’s driving these trends?
- Growing awareness of nutrition and desire for a healthier lifestyle
- Increasing awareness of health benefits various eating habits
- Growing preferences toward food products with natural ingredients
- Increasing concerns about weight gain and associated health implications
- Growing usage in dietary supplements
- Increasing demand for healthy ingredients from the commercial food manufacturing industry
You might also like… Our Fitness & Nutrition Industry Insights Hub.
Healthy Eating Trends
Recent consumer research by McKinsey explored healthy eating trends and how they’ve changed since Covid. It found that…
- Conscious eating (health + planet + society) is a trend that’s here to stay.
- 50% of consumers say healthy eating is a top priority for them.
- Participants considered healthy eating to mean reducing consumption of processed foods and sugar, followed by fat, salt, and red meat.
- 40% of people are eating fresher, healthier foods, especially fresh produce and 33% are choosing food without artificial ingredients.
- 40% are cooking more meals at home, where they have greater control over what they eat.
- However consumers are confused about which foods are healthy and sustainable.
- Their interest in health outweighs their interest in sustainability.
- Consumers are frustrated because retailers and food producers aren’t keeping up with their quest for conscious eating.
This clearly highlights an opportunity for both nutrition brands and industry professionals. Whether it’s developing products that address these needs or educating audiences to reduce confusion, there are varied ways to tap into this mega-trend.
Research shows that barriers to healthy eating appear to have decreased in recent years. Of the most common barriers reported by people, taste, price, time, limited options, and lack of willpower all seem to be decreasing. However, ‘daily habits’ as a barrier has remained stable.
You might also like… Top Nutrition Courses for Health & Fitness Professionals.
Low carb remains the most popular diet trend in 2023 while plant-based eating has become increasingly mainstream…
- In the US, a low-carb diet is the most popular (18%) followed by intermittent fasting, low carbon, keto, Mediterranean, raw food, whole 30, South Beach, Atkins, DASH, and paleo. [White Hutchinson]
- In the UK, 40% of people follow special diets – 13% low carb, 13% flexitarian, 7% gluten free, 7% lactose free, 6% vegetarian, 4% pescetarian, 4% vegan. [Statista]
- Younger people (18-24) are more likely to report food allergies and intolerances compared to those aged 35+ (30-50% vs less than 20% respectively). [McKinsey].
- Plant-based eating continues to trend upward and is going mainstream with around 50% of surveyed consumers following a flexitarian diet. [McKinsey].
You might also like… State of the Juice Industry – Latest Market Data & Analysis.
The top supplement trends identified for this year are…
- Plant protein – protein is a consistently high-performing supplement but the popularity of plant-based formulations is growing rapidly.
- Probiotics – increasing consumer interest is helping to drive this segment.
- Collagen – supplement brands have raced to incorporate this ingredient into their ranges.
- CBD – a high-growth area in numerous wellness industry sectors including nutrition.
- Liquid encapsulation – is a trend being driven by manufacturers to aid deliverability and effectiveness of their supplements.
You might also like… Latest Vitamin & Supplement Market Insights.
Sports Nutrition Trends
The top sports nutrition trends for this year include…
- High protein
- Low sugar
- Cleaner ingredient lists
- Indulgent protein snacks
- Vitamin D
- CBD and collagen for inflammation reduction
- Convenient ‘on-the-go’ formulas like gels and gummies
- Multi-benefit products combining performance support with immunity or plant-based aspects
While protein is a consistently high-performing trend in sports nutrition, CBD and collagen are the hottest ingredients right now. This is being driven by an increasing body of scientific research to support their efficacy, combined with relaxation of CBD restrictions.
This list is based on the combined insights of industry analysts from Food Manufacture, PB Leiner, Glanbia Nutritionals, and Grand View Research.
2023 Nutrition Industry Report
This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date nutrition industry research report available. Unlike others, you get extended access to the 2023 edition, including any updates that are made as new market data becomes available. Ideal for business planning, the report includes;
- Nutrition industry growth, revenue & future predictions
- Latest industry trends & how to capitalise on them
- Impact of recent global events & estimated recovery timelines
- Growth markets, segments & audiences including Millennials
- Financial information for the largest nutrition manufacturers globally
- Biggest & fastest-growing nutrition brands
- 14-day money-back guarantee, no questions or hassle
2023 Nutrition Industry Market Report