We’ve done a lot of Facebook marketing for gyms, personal trainers, and fitness brands over the years. It remains a powerhouse social media platform with over 3 billion users, which provides unrivalled marketing opportunities. Working with health and fitness clients, we’ve developed plenty of experience in what works well on Facebook and which approaches are proven to be most effective…
In this article – we share ten impactful Facebook marketing strategies for gyms, personal trainers, and fitness brands that are proven to work (with examples from the industry).
- Optimize Your Facebook Page
- Create Engaging Fitness Content
- Use Facebook Live
- Run Facebook Ads
- Promote Special Offers & Events
- Encourage User-Generated Content
- Engage With Your Audience
- Create Facebook Events
- Set Up a Facebook Shop
- Measure & Analyze Performance
Let’s explore each of them in more detail…
1 – Optimize Your Facebook Page
Your Facebook page (or group) is the virtual front door of your fitness business. So, you need to make it welcoming and informative. With so many health and fitness pages on the platform, you also need to ensure that people know they’re in the right place…
- Profile & Cover Photos – Choose high-resolution images that showcase your logo, headshot, gym, trainers, or clients.
- Bio & About Sections – Craft a compelling description that highlights your unique offerings and values (we’ll discuss this a bit more below).
- Contact Information – Ensure your phone number, email, website, and address are accurate so that would-be clients can get in touch with you easily.
The profile and cover photos are what’ll grab people’s attention and reassure them they’ve found the right page. But the bio and about sections are were you can explain why your gym or PT services are especially awesome.
The Facebook bio has a 150 character limit, so you’ll need to keep it short and snappy. Use the following ‘elevator pitch formula‘ (also ideal for fitness-themed Instagram bios) to summarise exactly who you help, what you do, and how long it takes…
We help [insert ideal client] to [overcome common problem] in [time frame].
Here are a couple of practical examples of Facebook fitness bios for gyms, personal trainers, and influencers…
- We help people who hate gyms to fall in love with fitness in 7 days.
- We help busy mums to lose their post-baby bump in 12 weeks.
- We help non-runners to train for ultra-marathons in 6 months.
There’s also space for more information in the ‘details about you’ area of the ‘about’ section. There isn’t a restrictive character or word limit here, so you can talk about your values, services, and what makes you different from the competition.
Here’s an example of a compelling about section that fitness brands can use on Facebook…
“At [Your Gym/Personal Trainer Name], we’re not just about lifting weights; we’re about lifting spirits and empowering lives. Nestled in the heart of [Your City], we believe that fitness is not a destination; it’s a way of life. Our team of passionate trainers is dedicated to guiding you on your journey to a healthier, happier you.
What sets us apart? We’re not just a gym; we’re a community. Here, you’re not just another member; you’re family. Our state-of-the-art facility offers top-notch equipment, expert-led classes, and personalized training sessions tailored to your goals. Whether you’re a fitness novice or a seasoned enthusiast, we’re here to support you every step of the way.
Join us, and let’s rewrite your fitness story together. Embrace the challenge, celebrate the victories, and let’s sculpt a healthier, stronger you. Your fitness journey begins here.”
2 – Create Engaging Fitness Content
Creating engaging fitness content for Facebook is what keeps your audience interested and involved. It enables you to build a relationship, educate them about your offerings, and promote your business.
Here are the types of Facebook content that have worked best for our fitness clients…
- Live Video & Reel Content – Share workout routines, client testimonials, behind-the-scenes glimpses of your gym or fitness studio, and snippets from CPD training courses you attend (get more video ideas here).
- Image Posts – Showcase your gym’s facilities, trainers in action, satisfied clients, funny quotes or memes, and inspiring content that’ll make people want to take action.
- Educational Content – Provide fitness tips, nutrition advice, and wellness facts to educate and inspire.
- Interactive Content – Use polls, quizzes, and challenges to encourage active participation among your followers and boost social media engagement.
Interactive content is a particularly important element of any Facebook strategy. It’s vital to create posts that people will like, share, comment, or click on. Why?
Firstly, because content that’s ignored won’t help achieve your marketing goals. And secondly because Facebook will see the lack of engagement as a negative signal. So it won’t show future posts to as many people and your reach will be minimal.
Regularly post content that’s designed to drive interaction and engagement, such as polls and quizzes. Here’s a poll example that fitness brands can use on social media…
Poll Question: What’s your favorite workout routine to kickstart your day? ?
- a) Cardio Blast
- b) Strength Training
- c) Yoga and Mindfulness
- d) All of the Above!
Poll Question: Discover Your Perfect Workout Match! How do you prefer to sweat it out?
- a) High-intensity, heart-pumping cardio
- b) Building strength and muscle through weight training
- c) Finding balance and tranquility through yoga and meditation
- d) I love a mix of everything!
Stay tuned for personalized fitness recommendations based on your answers!
3 – Lean Into Facebook Live Video
When it comes to Facebook marketing for personal trainers and gyms, live video is a crucial strategy. It’s ideal for…
- Live-streaming workouts or deep dives on how to perform a specific exercise correctly.
- Q&A sessions on fitness programming, nutrition, or your products and services.
- Behind-the-scenes glimpses of new group classes, innovative fitness equipment, or gym renovations.
- Special announcements about promotions, product launches, or community news.
The fact it’s live means your audience can engage with you in real-time, and experience what it’d be like to train with you before signing up.
Live video is a feature that Facebook itself has heavily promoted – the fact it’s the first option offered for post formats (ahead of photos and reels) tells us that Meta is really encouraging its use. Which means they also reward accounts that use it by showing their content to more people, so you can get a boost in reach just by using the live format.
You might also like… 10 Gym Social Media Ideas for Your Health Club or Fitness Studio.
If you want to create engaging live sessions, then it’s really important to interact with viewers while they’re watching.
- Say hi individually when they join the video and thank them getting involved.
- Address questions that they ask or comments that they make.
- Move the best comments to the top of the chat.
Check out Facebook’s own tips for going live here.
4 – Run Facebook Ads
If you have the marketing budget, then Facebook Ads offer targeted and instant exposure for your fitness business. You can define your ideal audience based on demographics, interests, and behaviours to reach potential clients. Facebook holds so much data about its users that you can be really detailed about the types of people you want to target with ads.
Facebook offers a number of ad formats that you can experiment with. Different ads will appeal to different people so there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Try carousel ads, slideshow ads, and video ads that highlight your gym’s facilities or fitness programs to see which works best.
Here’s an example of a fitness-themed Facebook Ad that gyms and personal trainers can use…
Unleash Your Inner Athlete! ?
Transform your fitness journey at [Your Gym/Personal Trainer Name]. Our expert trainers craft personalized workouts, tailored to your goals. Whether you’re aiming for weight loss, muscle gain, or overall wellness, we’ve got you covered.
✨ What We Offer:
?️♂️ Personalized Training Sessions
?♀️ Group Fitness Classes
? Nutrition Counseling
? High-Energy Workouts
? Supportive Community
Ready to achieve your fitness dreams? Start your free trial today and experience the difference. Your fitness revolution begins now. Swipe up to claim your spot!
Along with the ad text, include a vibrant image of a trainer assisting a client, or a dynamic group fitness class in action. Visuals showcasing a positive atmosphere, happy clients, or impressive fitness transformations can dramatically enhance the impact of your ad.
You can also use Facebook’s retargeting feature to re-engage users who have previously interacted with your page or website. Use it to remind them of your membership offerings, training programmes, or fitness products. This can convert people who were on the fence, got distracted during the checkout process, or simply forgot!
You might also like… Gym advertising ideas for your club or A Simple Guide to Google Ads for Personal Trainers.
5 – Promote Special Offers & Activities
All fitness businesses can use Facebook to promote special offers and upcoming activities. Sneak peek posts can create excitement and anticipation for new deals or product launches. Promotional content will help you attract new gym members and PT clients, directly benefiting your revenue.
- Membership Deals – Advertise free trials, discounts, or exclusive perks for new members.
- Pre-sale offers – Promote your new gym opening on Facebook with pre-sale offers for people who sign up before the club opens.
- Workshops and Classes – Highlight upcoming fitness workshops, classes, or events.
- Challenges and Competitions – Organise fitness challenges with enticing prizes to encourage participation, enthusiasm, and retention.
6 – Encourage User-Generated Content
Not everything you post on Facebook needs to be your own. You can also share user-generated content (UGC) that you gym members and PT clients have posted. Encouraging your customers to become your brand ambassadors is a great way to showcase your business (and is often more credible than self-promotional content).
Great ways to do this include…
- Client Testimonials – Feature success stories and testimonials from satisfied clients, showcasing their health transformations.
- Contests – Organise contests where clients share their fitness journeys or workout achievements.
- Hashtags – Create a unique, branded hashtag for your clients to use, fostering a sense of community and unity.
7 – Engage With Your Audience
For social media marketing to be effective, it needs to be a two-way conversation. So, in addition to posting creative fitness content regularly, don’t forget to engage with your audience! Not doing so is one of the most common Facebook mistakes we see people make.
Genuinely interacting with them creates a sense of connection and trust, so they’ll be more likely to sign-up and stay loyal.
- Give Prompt Responses – Respond quickly to comments, messages, and reviews, to show your dedication to client satisfaction.
- Live Stream – Host live workout sessions, Q&A sessions, or gym tours to engage with your audience in real-time.
- Community Engagement – Get involved in local community events, sponsorships, or partnerships, showcasing your commitment beyond fitness training.
Social Media Engagement Guide
A downloadable guide to boosting social media engagement for health and fitness businesses.
8 – Create Facebook Events
The ‘Facebook events’ feature is brilliant for gyms and fitness businesses, since it allows you to create events that customers can sign-up to. You simply post the details online, share the invitation, and people can accept, decline, or put ‘maybe’ if they’re unsure. They’re a great way to create a sense of community, build loyalty, and generate leads too.
Gyms and personal trainers can create events for…
- Fitness or nutrition workshops
- Group exercise classes
- Online webinars
- Fitness challenges
- New club openings
- Product launches
Running gym events can be an effective way to drive attendance and engagement. To maximise sign-ups, make sure you include a compelling event description, using eye-catching visuals, and promote the events through posts, reels, and live video too.
9 – Set Up a Facebook Shop
Did you know that Facebook also allows you to create an online shop on the platform? You can use it as a tool to sell products to your audience and increase revenue. It’s ideal for selling…
- Gym merchandise
- Fitness equipment
- Workout clothing
- Online training programs
If you sell products in your fitness studio, health club, or online, then showcasing them on Facebook will get more eyes on them. Simply having another channel where people are active and can purchase is likely to boost sales.
10 – Measure & Analyse Performance
This might sound boring, but it’s actually crucial to successful Facebook marketing for gyms, personal trainer, and any fitness business really. Understanding the impact of your efforts is crucial for refining your strategies. If you know what works best, you can do more of it.
- Facebook Insights – Use the platform’s analytics to dive into metrics like reach, engagement, and post effectiveness to understand what resonates with your audience. Look for patterns and do more of what’s working well.
- A/B Testing – Experiment with different content types and ad formats to gauge audience response, then optimise your future campaigns. Try posting the same reel twice, but using different covers each time to figure out what appeals. Or the same promo offer but with different headlines, so you can see what resonates the most.
Facebook Marketing for Gyms & Personal Trainers – Overview
By implementing these Facebook marketing strategies tailored for gyms and personal trainers, you can elevate your online presence, attract new clients, and foster a community of fitness enthusiasts. Optimising your page, posting creative fitness content, and using live video are the fundamentals of Facebook marketing. Once you’ve nailed these, try running ads, hosting events, or encouraging user-generated content.
Whichever approach you take, the key to Facebook success is engaging with your audience and providing value consistently. And if you want help to get the most of this powerful social media platform, then check out our social media services.
Downloadable Social Media Kits
Our social media kits make it easy to drive leads, engagement, and loyalty for your fitness business. Ideal for busy gym operators, studio owners, and fitness bloggers, they enable you to benefit from our marketing agency expertise for a fraction of the usual cost.Social Media Content Bundle – 400+ Fitness Posts
These ready-made social posts will save you time and effort – you can even schedule them to be automatically posted to your social media accounts. Plus, we offer a comprehensive money-back guarantee so you can purchase it risk-free…