Looking for personal trainer marketing ideas that don’t cost any money? Online advertising, leaflets, and website design all involve a financial investment upfront. But what if you don’t have the budget?
In this article – we share a comprehensive list of personal trainer marketing strategies that are completely free to implement.
Whether you want to attract more local clients, build an online following, or establish a personal brand, we’ve got you covered. So, if you want to know how to promote your personal training business for free, read on…
Personal Trainer Marketing Ideas For Getting More Clients
Clients are the lifeblood of a successful personal training career. Without them, you won’t get paid and will eventually end up quitting the industry. So, how can a personal trainer get more clients? Here’s a list of quick and easy ideas…
- Partner with your local organic café or farmers market to run a free small group PT session.
- Join Meetups or volunteer groups where people might benefit from your expertise.
- Claim your venue on FourSquare and then offer special deals to users.
- Place promotional postcards at local health food cafes or doctor’s surgeries.
- Offer to run a free sports-specific training session at a local sports club.
- Run a healthy eating or nutrition seminar or workshop.
- Offer complimentary sessions on the back of your business cards.
You might also like… Marketing Your PT Business – 5 Essential Best Practices.
Social Media Marketing Ideas For Personal Trainers
Social media can be hugely useful in marketing your personal training business. It allows you to reach a wider audience of potential clients, generate word of mouth, and build one-to-one relationships. If you run an online training business, then social media is a no-brainer. Here are some ideas…
- Tweet someone new, join a conversation, and then add value. Offer tips or your opinion on a topic, (but don’t be spammy or self-promotional).
- Create a Facebook business page and pin client testimonials to the top so everyone sees them.
- Post photos of your healthy meals on social media, along with the recipe so people can make them themselves. Or photograph the 3-4 preparation steps and make a collage so people can follow along.
- Jump on trending Twitter or Instagram hashtags where relevant.
- Take photos of yourself performing exercises in the start and stop position so that people can see the correct technique to use.
- Run a poll to encourage interaction.
- Take photos of training sessions (with participant’s permission), venues, or equipment, and then share on social media.
Online Personal Training Marketing Ideas
How do I promote my personal training business? We get asked this question a lot and the answer often depends on whether it’s an in-person setup or online training gig. If you run a personal training website or fitness blog, then here are some promo ideas that’ll drive visitors…
- Join a Triberr group, where you promote other’s content and they reciprocate.
- Comment on other blogs, and include a link back to your site. This can help get you more traffic and backlinks which both help it rank higher in Google.
- Reinvent your email signature with professional graphics and links to your website or social media.
- Write articles for websites that your target audience or ideal clients are likely to read, and include your website or blog in your bio. Think golfing, gardening, triathlons, bodybuilding, etc.
- Collate all of the email addresses of existing clients and people who’ve ever inquired about training with you, then send them fortnightly emails using a free service like Mailchimp.
- Schedule automated posts on Facebook that promote old blog content and drive more traffic.
- Register your website on AllTop.
You might also like… Digital Marketing for Personal Trainers [6 Proven Tactics].
Ideas For Building Your Personal Brand
Many PTs dream of becoming a celebrity trainer. While some of it’s down to luck and hard work, much of it is about building a personal brand. You’ll need to put some serious thought into this question – how can I promote myself as a personal trainer? Here are some ideas to get you started…
- Answer questions on Quora to help position yourself as a knowledgeable authority on specific topics.
- Create a SlideShare presentation, addressing a question that you’re asked frequently.
- Record a ‘how-to’ video and post it online using YouTube, Instagram Stories, Facebook Live, or Snapchat.
- Write articles for credible publications like Mind Body Green, Men’s Health, or Huffington Post. Make sure the topic is something you’re really knowledgeable about or get asked about frequently.
- Get interviewed on a podcast.
- Run a survey and publish the results in a report (then create a SlideShare presentation for extended reach).
- Start a fitness blog or training website where you can publish high-quality articles that showcase your expertise. WordPress or Wix are good places to start.
These are all quick and easy personal training promotion ideas. We think they’re a good starting point because they’re all 100% free! And who doesn’t love stuff that’s both free and effective…
But it’s worth bearing in mind that these personal trainer marketing ideas are all short-term tactics. They’ll give you a quick win or a temporary boost, but they aren’t a substitute for a well-thought-out marketing plan.
Marketing yourself as a personal trainer requires some strategic planning as well as quick-fire tactics. It’s by combining both elements that you create a successful business for the long-term.